CAHRD - Kookum's Preschool Centre
JOB TITLE INCLUSION WORKER COMPETITION # 2023KOP-IW02 NATIONAL OCCUPATION CODE 42202 EMPLOYER (CAHRD) CENTRE FOR ABORIGINAL HUMAN RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT INC. – Kookum’s Preschool Centre APPLICATION DEADLINE ***** Jun-02-2023 ***** WAGE TYPE HOURLY WAGE AMOUNT $14.05 POSITION TYPE INDEFINITE TERM, FULL-TIME, 37.5 HOURS/WEEK
The Inclusion Worker is responsible for providing high quality early learning and care for children and ensuring children with additional support needs have every opportunity for meaningful involvement, and equal access to the benefits of the program by coordinating the provision of developmental services. This includes preparing, directing and assessing the positive emotional, physical, social and cognitive development of children by implementing appropriate activities and programs according to each child’s individual developmental abilities, interests and needs. Serves as the liaison between children and parents/families as well as other professionals involved in the child’s care by sharing information and communicating on any issues that may have an impact on the child.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Establish and maintain a safe, healthy and inclusive learning environment where the needs of all children and families are met. This includes developing and implementing an organized and purposeful program which utilizes safe and injury free practices, creative, well-balanced and stimulating activities; and learning experiences which offer physical, social, emotional and sensory development. It also includes ensuring that innovative teaching methods and strategies are implemented and encouraged.
· Assist in the development of Individual Plans (IPs) and monitor their implementation; ensuring that identified goals are integrated into the daily program and routines.
· Advance children’s physical and intellectual competence by ensuring that activities and equipment are modified to promote children’s physical, cognitive and communication skills as well as their creativity.
· Assess children’s needs based on personal and continual observation, make modifications to programs as required and make referrals when necessary. Provide resources to assist staff and to increase their comfort level in implementing inclusive practices.
· Utilize the principles of “reflective practice” which allows for an assessment of what is being done, why it is being done, and how it can be done differently.
· Create an environment that builds positive self-concept and individual strength. Treat all children as individuals in a respectful way, celebrate their successes, provide support and encouragement and is sensitive to different abilities, values and expectations.
· Promote positive functioning between children and adults by assisting in the development of social skills, encouraging feelings of empathy and mutual respect and setting realistic behavioural expectations which encourage self-control and positive reinforcement while following behaviour management guidelines.
· Coordinate centre and home child-rearing practices by maintaining an open, friendly and informative relationship with each child’s family while recognizing that parents have primary responsibility for the care of their children.
· Liaise with other professionals involved in the child’s care by attending meetings, sharing information, attending therapies, etc.
· Facilitate open and effective communication among parents, staff, specialists, and schools and ensure there are strategies in place to support a smooth transition to school or another program.
· Maintain records of child’s observations and prepare written reports at least semi-annually.
· Maintain a high level of professionalism including confidentiality, ethical and professional behaviour, continuous personal and professional development, and participation in child care organizations as appropriate.
· Ensure that management and staff are informed and updated regarding the centre’s inclusion program.
· Ensure that activities and equipment are modified to accommodate individual needs and capabilities.
· Ensure that specialized materials and equipment are utilized appropriately for the specific needs of individual children.
· Implement and encourage innovative teaching methods and strategies to best meet individual needs and capabilities. · Encourage positive interactions by modeling inclusive practices and strategies for all children and staff.
· Provide resources to assist staff and to increase their comfort level in implementing inclusive practices.
· Assess the development of children and initiate referrals when necessary.
· Provide opportunities for parental involvement and support allowing parents to take an active role in decision-making regarding their child.
· Provide parents with appropriate resource material based on the needs of their family (community resources, seminars, etc.).
· Current Infant/Child First Aid and CPR Certificate.
· Completion of or enrolment in the 40 hour program of studies as required by the Province of Manitoba (within the first year of employment).
· Experience working with children in a related environment is preferred.
· Team work skills with well-developed communication skills; with the ability to communicate effectively with children and parents from various socio-economic, ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
· Ability to lift up to 40 lbs., be on your feet up to 8 hours and evacuate children during emergencies.
· CAHRD requires all of its employees be fully vaccinated against Covid-19; proof of vaccination is required before signing of employment contract.
|Application Deadline||June 2nd, 2023|
Please submit resume and cover letter citing competition number by 4:00 p.m., Friday, June 2, 2023, in one of the following manners:
1. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Visit www.cahrd.org/jobs to apply online
3. Drop off in person to Reception at 304-181 Higgins Avenue
Preference will be given to Indigenous candidates (Status, Non-status, Métis, or Inuit). Preference is also given to clients who are registered with CAHRD. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.