MCCA’s Resource Library has an extensive collection of books, publications and videos on a wide range of topics on early learning and child care as a service and as a profession.
Members may access resources by visiting MCCA’s library in person during office hours:
8:00 AM to 4:00 PM – Monday to Friday
If you can’t come to MCCA, phone to order library resources by telephone. We will mail you the book and will provide you with a return envelope and postage too!
Non-Winnipeg members may call toll free at 1-888-323-4676 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The library is also open in the evenings or on Saturdays when workshops are scheduled, but please call before coming to confirm there hasn’t been a change.
MCCA Resource Library borrowing privileges:
MCCA has a several magazine subscriptions that that members can borrow from the resource library:
Here is a list of some of the periodicals we keep in the library:
- Child Care BRIDGES
- Child Care Information Exchange
- Young Children
- Canadian Children
A curriculum kit has a variety of resources that can be used to further children’s learning in an area of interest. The kits have puzzles, books, games, manipulative toys and activities. For example, the posters and figurines in the dinosaur Kit bring the prehistoric era to life. Curriculum kits must be reserved and are available for a three week lending period.
Kits currently available include the following:
- Costume: Age range: 2-12 yrs. With this kit, you don’t have to wait for Halloween to be a mermaid, princess, firefighter, or doctor. This kit will allow children to express themselves and use their imagination, through dress up and play.
- Insects: Age range: 2-10 yrs. With this kit, you can explore the life of outdoor insects. Everything from bug jars to pond nets, the children will enjoy hours of enjoyment, learning about butterflies, bees, etc. This kit also offers some indoor fun, such as puzzles and insect puppets.
- Dinosaur: Age range: 2-10 yrs. With this kit, you can learn about the prehistoric era of dinosaurs and discover some fun facts, along the way. This kit contains everything from books, to puzzles, to figurines and puppets.
- Families: Age range: 2-10 yrs. With this kit, children will learn about different types of families, cultures, and family values. This kit offers many resources from our library, along with some puzzles, multicultural family puppets, and a large dollhouse set.
- Infant/Toddler: Age range: 6 months-2yrs. With this kit your little ones will be able to discover the world of “play” with some wonderful resources, such as: noise makers, animal toys on wheels, rattles, and many more educational toys. This kit also contains many wonderful children’s books.
- Pre-school Games: Age range: 2-7 yrs. With this kit, children will have everything they need for hours of gaming fun. This will teach the children how to follow instructions, while teaching them sportsmanship.
- School-age Games: Age range: 5-12 yrs. With this kit, the children will have hours of gaming fun. This kit contains everything from Twister to Multiplication Bingo, to the Game of Knowledge. This kit has 17 games, in total, and one puzzle.
- Rural Life: Age range: 2-10yrs. This kit will bring the “farm” to your centre or home daycare. With resources such as: animal puppets, farm equipment, machine vehicles, safety videos, books about farming, and animal floor puzzles, there is sure to be something for everyone in this kit.
- Safari: Age range: 5-12 yrs. This kit will, instantly, take the children on an african safari adventure. The children can enjoy playing with the large animal figurines, while wearing a safari hat. This kit also offers many puzzles and floor games, as well as some wonderful books about wild animals.
- Basic Science: Age range: 6-12 yrs. With this kit, the children can explore their “inner scientist”. This kit has a talking microscope with bug slides, rocks and minerals curriculum kit, and some wonderful books about life and earth sciences.
- Nature: Age range: 5-12 yrs. With this kit, you can bring the “woodland” to your centre or home daycare. This kit has animal posters, pond dip nets, bug boxes and jars, wild animal figurines, and many animal puzzles.
- Fire Fighter: Age range: 2-6 yrs. “A day in the life of a firefighter”. This kit has firefighter jackets, helmets, and garden hoses, for dramatic play, while teaching the children to Play Safe and Be Safe, with a video that is included with this kit. There are also puzzles and books, along with fire trucks and figurines for the toy area.
- Geocaching: Age range: 8-12 yrs. This kit offers a wonderful outdoor experience. The kit includes: 4 GPS receivers, 2 compasses, and 2 containers of items for hiding. This kit also contains instructions on how to geocach.
- Mind Bender: Age range: 6-12 yrs. With this kit, you can challenge yourself and each other, with some Brain Quest games. Included in this kit are some finger-printing kits, detective dress-up gear, and many puzzles and books.
- Ethics in a Tub(for staff development): This kit is great to bring out at a staff meeting or a staff professional development day. Many of the games will challenge your values and beliefs and help to keep the conversation of the Code of Ethics alive in your program. The kit includes games such as: Ethical Bingo, Lost on an Island, and Scruples, to name a few.
To reserve a curriculum kit, call Christina Skinkoway at 204-586-8587 email email@example.com